What follows is a listing of Student award opportunities available through CUTC and USDOT UTCs. Other University/Association specific student award opportunities are listed on our social media feeds.
Follow us to learn more:
CUTC National Student Awards
Awards are given annually to six graduate students in transportation for the two best PhD dissertations, Masters’ thesis and Masters’ reports.
- The Milton Pikarsky Memorial Award is given annually for the best Doctoral dissertation and Master’s thesis in the field of science and technology in transportation studies.
- The Charley V. Wootan Memorial Award is given annually for the best Doctoral dissertation and Master’s thesis in the field of policy and planning in transportation studies.
- The Neville A. Parker Memorial Award is given annually to two non-thesis master’s project reports in the field of policy and planning, and science and technology.
Winners in each category receive the following honorariums
- Doctoral Dissertation: $2,000
- Master’s Thesis: $1,500
- Non-Thesis Master’s Reports/Papers: $1,500
Nomination Deadline: Closed
Congratulations to our 2022 CUTC Student Awardees
Congratulations 2022 Milton Pikarsky Memorial Winner:
- Milton Pikarsky Memorial – Masters
Brian Staes, University of South Florida – “Diagnosis of Freeway Bottlenecks During the Mass Evacuation for Hurricane Irma on Florida’s Turnpike Mainline”
- Milton Pikarsky Memorial – Ph.D.
Yan Zhang, Washington State University – “Development, Assessment, and Modeling of an Anti-icing Asphalt Pavement”
Congratulations 2022 Charlie V. Wootan Memorial Winner:
- Charley V. Wootan Memorial – Ph.D.
Atiyya Shaw, Georgia Institute of Technology – “Methods for Enriching Transportation Survey Datasets: With Sample Applications Using Psychometric Variables”
- Charley V. Wootan Memorial – Masters
Xinyi Wang, Georgia Institute of Technology – “Respondent Recruitment to Consecutive Travel Surveys: Exploring Sample Representativeness and Travel Behavior Model Quality Using Sample Selection Models”
Congratulations 2022 Neville A. Parker Memorial Winner:
- Neville A. Parker (MS/ME) – Policy & Planning
Joseph Dever, University of Florida – “Embracing Capital Investment: An Analysis of Development Oriented towards Miami’s Metrorail”
- Neville A. Parker (MS/ME) – Science & Technology
Qianwen Li, University of South Florida – “Trajectory Planning for Autonomous Modular Vehicle Docking and Autonomous Vehicle Platooning Operations”
USDOT UTC Student of the Year Awards
Each federally funded USDOT UTC selects a Student of the Year and they are honored at the CUTC Student of the Year Banquet every January.
2022 USDOT UTC Student of The Year Awards
- Dunsin Fadojutimi, Morgan State University
- Saman Farhangdoust, Florida International University
- Diarmuid Gregory, University of Vermont
- Kal Hart, South Dakota State University
- Hana Herndon, Georgia Institute of Technology
- John Higgins, University of Wyoming
- Lauren Hill-Beaton, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Oscar Huang, Texas A&M University
- Hailee Kulich, University of Pittsburgh
- Daniel F. Ortiz Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Bo Qiu, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Alexandria Rossi-Alvarez, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Riley Ruskamp, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- Kristen Sanchez, Texas A&M University
- Brandt Souvenir, University of Idaho
- Brian Staes, Oregon State University
- Mohhammad Afsar Sujon, West Virginia University
- Jorge Ugan, University of Central Florida
- Zakhary Mallett, University of Southern California
- Bianca Mers, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Christian David Sprague, Cornell University
- Marissa Brown, San Jose State University
- Regan Buchanan, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Joshua H. Davidson, University of Pennsylvania
- Mitchell P. Fisher II, Auburn University
- Rick Grahn, Carnegie Mellon University
- Sarah Grajdura, University of California, Davis
- Nadim Khairallah, University of California, Irvine
- Rachael Thompson Panik, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Kelly Rodgers, Portland State University
- Matthew Stanley, Clemson University
- Alexander Sundt, University of Michigan
- Carly Venditti, Texas A&M University
- Emma Vinella-Brusher, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Brittany Nicole Waggener, University of New Orleans
2020 USDOT UTC Student of The Year Awards
CUTC Eno Leadership Development Conference Award
Each year, the Eno Future Leaders Development Conference (LDC) gives 20 of the nation’s top graduate students in transportation a firsthand look at how national transportation policies are developed. Students apply to the program early for the year, and those selected as “Eno Fellows” come to Washington, DC for a week in the spring of meetings with federal officials and leaders of business and non-profit organizations.
Each university is limited to one application. Directors are required to submit the materials on behalf of the student.
2021: Due to continued restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Eno Future Leaders Development Conference and the corresponding CUTC award has been cancelled. It is anticipated that the award will resume in 2022.
Past CUTC Eno Leadership Development Conference Awardees:
- 2020 – Bonnie Fan, Carnegie Mellon University
- 2019 – Lila Singer-Berk, University of Minnesota